Japanese game studio goes back to the future with 80’s adventure about asteroid mining and alien encounters in deep space.
Tokyo, Japan – Enterstellar Studios is excited to announce that Pioneer 2140CC, a visual novel style, sci-fi space video game, will launch on Kickstarter January 18th, 2022. Pioneer 2140CC is based on the book Pioneer, written in 1983 by famed space historian, radio personality, and cave explorer Robert Zimmerman, who writes about space, science, and culture at his website BehindTheBlack. The Kickstarter campaign will run from January 18th until February 24th and offer unique physical and digital rewards. A minimum funding goal is set at $73,000 USD.The Story“How far would you go to make first alien contact?”
Strap in tight and hold on to your butts! The year is 2183 and Michael Addiono, a scrappy young space miner, is racing down to the Martian surface. He’s cashed in his life savings on a hunch from his know-it-all sister that the legendary Captain Maxwell Saunders is about to hijack a ship. After gliding across the vast plains stretching from the giant volcano, Olympus Mons, Michael lands at Mangala Base and quickly catches up to the captain. But what he uncovers is beyond belief. Captain Max has discovered and is hiding a four-fingered robotic arm that looks like something out of a sci-fi horror flick, along with a recorder and memo book detailing a series of shocking events. Here was a mystery that would rock humanity: first alien contact. It’s in this moment that Michael decides he will do anything to solve the mystery. Even if it takes him through hell and back. Which is exactly where the journey is about to take him —And take you, if you dare step into his shoes.
For media inquiries or to set up an interview, please contact:firstname.lastname@example.org
Pioneer 2140CC Game Highlights
- Estimated 10hrs of gameplay
- 15+ characters voiced by popular actors, including…
- Aaron Dismuke, who’s past work includes Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist), Tamaki Amajiki (My Hero Academia), Oscar Pine (RWBY), Senku Ishigami (Dr. Stone), and Manabe Kakeru (Fruits Basket)
- Cristina ‘Vee’ Valunzuela, who’s past work includes Ladybug (Miraculous Ladybug), Killua (Hunter x Hunter), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Bennet and Xinqiu (Genshin Impact)
- Kaiji Tang, who’s past work includes Owain (Fire Emblem), Guts (Berserk), Archer (Fate/stay night: Heaven’s Feel II. lost butterfly), Detective Pikachu (Detective Pikachu, Nintendo 3DS), and Osamu (Bungo Stray Dogs)
- 100+ beautifully illustrated scenes, many animated
- Multiple branches and endings based on the choices you make
- Available on Nintendo Switch, Steam, PC, Mac, & Linux
Exclusive and Limited Rewards – Back Early!
Pioneer 2140CC will offer a variety of reward tiers to accommodate backers at all levels of support. Early bird tiers will offer up to 40% off the game, while elite tiers will allow close involvement in the game’s development.Notable rewards include a physical challenge coin (think medallion) carried by rebel forces during the Lunar War for Independence, as well as a digital fleet of asteroid mining ships from the Megaton Mining Company.There will even be chances to reap exclusive rewards from Mr. Zimmerman himself —physically autographed collectibles, limited copies of his original ebook, and a chance to geek out with him over voice chat. Interested fans should check the “Die in Space” and “The Pioneer” tiers for more.“The first three days are crucial, so please sign up for the launch alert and back us early.” explained the game’s producer, Aaron Jenkin. “A strong start is proven to substantially increase a campaign’s chance of success.”
How the Game Was Born
According to Jenkin, the game had its liftoff back in 2017. “There was a lot of buzz back then around going to Mars, SpaceX’s Starship, the whole debate on whether we should return to the Moon first. I became obsessed with imagining our spacefaring future and started having this overwhelming feeling like I should be contributing in some way to help get us there. Since I work in the game industry, I naturally thought of making a game.”Soon, he began the hunt to find a story. “Being an avid radio and podcast listener, and knowing Mr. Zimmerman from his regular appearances on shows like Coast to Coast AM, The Space Show, and The John Batchelor Show, I eventually reached out to him for advice. His reply was a cosmic stroke of luck: he was days away from releasing a Mars themed science fiction novel —a story he had written all the way back in 1983! Having grown up in the 80’s, I’m a sucker for 80’s nostalgia. So at that point there was no turning back. I read his book and the game became a real thing in my mind, done and ready for players to enjoy… Now all we have to do is get there!” Jenkin concluded.To visit the game’s official site and sign up for the Kickstarter launch alert, go to:
- Hyper Productions announces release of Hyper-5. Available now on Itch.io and Steam! - January 28, 2022
- Rolling in the Sheepe - January 28, 2022
- Knights Try - January 28, 2022